B.Sc. (Caltech), M.Sc., Ph.D. (USC)
Chairman and Professor of Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Fellow of IEEE, Fellow of INNS, Fellow of AAIA, Distinguished Member of ACM
- Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning
- Machine Learning
- Data and Software Engineering
- Big Data
- Databases, Data Mining, and Knowledge Management
- Information Retrieval
- Rich Media
- Director, Centre for ELearning Innovation and TEchnology (ELITE)
- PI, The Knowledge and Education Exchange Platform (KEEP) and The VeriGuide Project
- Associate Editor, Neural Network Journal (NN)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Data Science and Analytics (JDSA)
- Vice-President, The ACM WebConf Steering Committee
Professor Irwin King is a distinguished scholar in machine intelligence, currently serving as the Chair and Professor of Computer Science & Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. With a broad range of research interests covering areas such as machine learning, social computing, AI, and data mining, Professor King is a Fellow of prestigious societies and associations, including the IEEE, INNS, AAIA, HKIE, and ACM Distinguished Member. Over the years, he has played many leadership roles in various top conferences and societies, such as serving as the President of the International Neural Network Society, General Co-chair of conferences such as WebConf 2020, ICONIP 2020, ACML 2015, RecSys 2013, and WSDM 2011. He has also held several capacities in conferences such as WWW, NIPS, ICML, IJCAI, AAAI, and ICONIP.
Professor King has been honored with various prestigious awards in recognition of his contributions to the field of machine intelligence. Some of his notable awards include the 2021 INNS Dennis Gabor Award for engineering applications of neural networks, the 2020 APNNS Outstanding Achievement Award, and several Test of Time Awards from ACM conferences such as CIKM2019, SIGIR 2020, and WSDM 2022. Additionally, during his tenure with AT&T Labs Research, San Francisco, he also taught as a Visiting Professor at UC Berkeley.
Professor King holds a B.Sc. degree in Engineering and Applied Science from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the University of Southern California (USC).
- Hao Ma, Dengyong Zhou, Chao Liu, Michael R. Lyu, Irwin King: Recommender systems with social regularization. WSDM 2011: 287-296 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Haixuan Yang, Michael R. Lyu, Irwin King: SoRec: social recommendation using probabilistic matrix factorization. CIKM 2008: 931-940 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Learning to recommend with social trust ensemble. SIGIR 2009: 203-210 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Effective missing data prediction for collaborative filtering. SIGIR 2007: 39-46 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Chen Cheng, Haiqin Yang, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Fused Matrix Factorization with Geographical and Social Influence in Location-Based Social Networks. AAAI 2012 (electronic edition @aaai.org)
- Zixing Song, Xiangli Yang, Zenglin Xu, and Irwin King: Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning: A Comprehensive Review. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS) 2022.
- Yankai Chen, Menglin Yang, Yingxue Zhang, Mengchen Zhao, Ziqiao Meng, Jianye Hao, Irwin King: Modeling Scale-free Graphs with Hyperbolic Geometry for Knowledge-aware Recommendation. WSDM 2022: 94-102
- Yifei Zhang, Hao Zhu, Ziqiao Meng, Piotr Koniusz, Irwin King: Graph-adaptive Rectified Linear Unit for Graph Neural Networks. WWW 2022: 1331-1339
- Menglin Yang, Min Zhou, Jiahong Liu, Defu Lian, Irwin King: HRCF: Enhancing Collaborative Filtering via Hyperbolic Geometric Regularization. WWW 2022: 2462-2471
- Wang Chen, Piji Li, Hou Pong Chan, Irwin King: Dialogue summarization with supporting utterance flow modelling and fact regularization. Knowledge Based Systems. 229: 107328 (2021)
- 2021 INNS Dennis Gabor Award for his outstanding contributions to engineering applications of neural networks.
- ACM WSDM 2021 Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Dengyong Zhou, Chao Liu, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King: Recommender systems with social regularization. WSDM 2011
- 2020 Asia Pacific Neural Network Society (APNNS) Outstanding Achievement Award, International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP 2020), November 18-22, Bangkok, Thailand
- Global AI 2000 List, AI 2000 Most Influential Scholars for #34 in AAAI/IJCAI; #44 in Information Retrieval and Recommendation; #56 in Data Mining. CUHK CPRO.
- ACM SIGIR 2020 Xian Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R.. Lyu: Learning to Recommend with Social Trust Ensemble. SIGIR 2009: 203-210.
- ACM CIKM 2019 Beijing Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Haixuan Yang, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King, SoRec: Social Recommendation Using Probabilistic Matrix Factorization, presented at CIKM 2008.