- Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning
- Machine Learning
- Data and Software Engineering
- Big Data
- Databases, Data Mining, and Knowledge Management
- Information Retrieval
- Rich Media
- Director, Centre for ELearning Innovation and TEchnology (ELITE)
- PI, The Knowledge and Education Exchange Platform (KEEP) and The VeriGuide Project
- Associate Editor, Neural Network Journal (NN)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Data Science and Analytics (JDSA)
- Vice-President, The ACM WebConf Steering Committee
Prof. Irwin King is the Chair and Professor of Computer Science & Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. His research interests include machine learning, social computing, AI, and data mining. He has over 350 technical publications in journals and conferences in these research areas with high citations. He is an IEEE Fellow, INNS Fellow, and an ACM Distinguished Member. He is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Neural Networks (NN), a former Associate Editor of the ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (ACM TKDD), and a former Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (TNN). He served as the President of the International Neural Network Society (INNS), General Co-chair of WebConf 2020, ICONIP 2020, WSDM 2011, RecSys 2013, ACML 2015, and in various capacities in top conferences and societies such as WWW, NIPS, ICML, IJCAI, AAAI, INNS, APNNS, etc. He is the recipient of the 2021 INNS Dennis Gabor Award for his outstanding contributions to engineering applications of neural networks, the 2020 APNNS Outstanding Achievement Award and several Test of Time Awards including ACM CIKM2019, ACM SIGIR 2020, and ACM WSDM 2022 for his contributions made in social computing with machine learning. In 2010 while on leave with AT&T Labs Research, San Francisco, he taught classes as a Visiting Professor at UC Berkeley. He received his B.Sc. degree in Engineering and Applied Science from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles.
Top Cited Publications
- Hao Ma, Dengyong Zhou, Chao Liu, Michael R. Lyu, Irwin King: Recommender systems with social regularization. WSDM 2011: 287-296 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Haixuan Yang, Michael R. Lyu, Irwin King: SoRec: social recommendation using probabilistic matrix factorization. CIKM 2008: 931-940 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Learning to recommend with social trust ensemble. SIGIR 2009: 203-210 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Effective missing data prediction for collaborative filtering. SIGIR 2007: 39-46 (electronic edition via DOI)
- Chen Cheng, Haiqin Yang, Irwin King, Michael R. Lyu: Fused Matrix Factorization with Geographical and Social Influence in Location-Based Social Networks. AAAI 2012 (electronic edition @aaai.org)
- Zixing Song, Xiangli Yang, Zenglin Xu, and Irwin King: Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning: A Comprehensive Review. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS) 2022.
- Yankai Chen, Menglin Yang, Yingxue Zhang, Mengchen Zhao, Ziqiao Meng, Jianye Hao, Irwin King: Modeling Scale-free Graphs with Hyperbolic Geometry for Knowledge-aware Recommendation. WSDM 2022: 94-102
- Yifei Zhang, Hao Zhu, Ziqiao Meng, Piotr Koniusz, Irwin King: Graph-adaptive Rectified Linear Unit for Graph Neural Networks. WWW 2022: 1331-1339
- Menglin Yang, Min Zhou, Jiahong Liu, Defu Lian, Irwin King: HRCF: Enhancing Collaborative Filtering via Hyperbolic Geometric Regularization. WWW 2022: 2462-2471
- Wang Chen, Piji Li, Hou Pong Chan, Irwin King: Dialogue summarization with supporting utterance flow modelling and fact regularization. Knowledge Based Systems. 229: 107328 (2021)
Achievements and Awards
- 2021 INNS Dennis Gabor Award for his outstanding contributions to engineering applications of neural networks.
- ACM WSDM 2021 Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Dengyong Zhou, Chao Liu, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King: Recommender systems with social regularization. WSDM 2011
- 2020 Asia Pacific Neural Network Society (APNNS) Outstanding Achievement Award, International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP 2020), November 18-22, Bangkok, Thailand
- Global AI 2000 List, AI 2000 Most Influential Scholars for #34 in AAAI/IJCAI; #44 in Information Retrieval and Recommendation; #56 in Data Mining. CUHK CPRO.
- ACM SIGIR 2020 Xian Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Irwin King, Michael R.. Lyu: Learning to Recommend with Social Trust Ensemble. SIGIR 2009: 203-210.
- ACM CIKM 2019 Beijing Test of Time Award for Hao Ma, Haixuan Yang, Michael R. Lyu, and Irwin King, SoRec: Social Recommendation Using Probabilistic Matrix Factorization, presented at CIKM 2008.