The Regular admission scheme for M.Phil. and Ph.D. programme for 2022-2023 Intake at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at CUHK (CUHK CSE) now invites applications from outstanding undergraduate and master students from prestigious universities around the world. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong was the first Computer Science department in Hong Kong and is well-known internationally for her high-quality research and teaching. Our graduates distinguish themselves in professional and academic positions in prestigious institutions and laboratories worldwide.
Schedule of the regular admission interviews of M.Phil. – Ph.D. Programme for 2022-2023 Intake
|1st Round||2nd Round|
|Application Deadline||Oct 31, 2021||Jan 31, 2022|
|Invitation for interview||the week of Nov 8, 2021||the week of Feb 14, 2022|
|Interview Date & Venue||Nov 19, 2021||Feb 25, 2022|
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an oral interview in English. The result will be released within one week after the interview. Applicants who are unsuccessful in Early Admission are still encouraged to apply our programme for Regular Admission.
Admission criteria are mainly based on academic performance, research ability and potential, communication skills, and English proficiency. All admitted full-time research students will receive a stipend of around HK$18,025/month during their normative study period. Exceptional PhD applicants will be recommended to apply for the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme, and successful applicants will receive a stipend of HK$26,900/month and a research and travel grant of HK$13,500/year.
- Create an account in Graduate School’s admission system.
Applicants are required to invite TWO referees to complete the Confidential Recommendations Report. After you have successfully submitted the application, you can input information of the TWO referees through the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes in the Graduate School’s system. The University will send invitations for confidential recommendations to the referees.
- You will receive an email from CSE Department that an account has been created for you in Department’s admission system.
- Upload both CV AND updated transcript to Department’s admission system for review before deadline. Missing either one of the required documents will not be considered.
- The following hardcopy documents should be sent to department at the same time:
- Copies of certificates of academic/professional qualifications which may include university certificates of graduation, examination certificates and proof of other qualifications (畢業證書及學位證書).
- Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) and grading schemes of all tertiary level studies should be submitted.
- CUHK qualifications (Bachelor’s or higher degrees):
- Photocopies of transcripts issued by CUHK are acceptable (not applicable to CUHK (Shenzhen) qualifications).
- Applicants should first download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet and attach it to the transcript copy. Please send the transcript copy to the relevant Graduate Division directly.
The University reserves the right to require applicants to submit original transcripts.
- Other qualifications:
- Official academic transcripts with official chop from the Registry or Office responsible for handling student records is acceptable for issuing the admission offers. However, documents printed from the system or any other documents without a proper letterhead and an official chop will not be accepted. Besides, there should be explanatory notes printed / attached to the transcript indicating the grading scheme of the University.
- Certificates and transcripts and such documents not in English or Chinese should be accompanied by an official certified translation in English.
- Admitted students are required to submit original copies of those official documents for verification by the condition fulfillment deadline. Otherwise, they will not be allowed to register and commence studies at the University. Applicants should download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet and send it to the issuing universities to apply for official transcripts. Official transcripts should be sent directly to relevant Graduate Division in a sealed envelope from the issuing university. Some universities may only issue electronic official transcripts to other institutions. In that case, official electronic transcripts should be sent to relevant Graduate Division directly from the issuing university.
- Applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China are required to provide an Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by the CHESICC (學信網).
- The University may require applicants to provide verification reports of the qualification obtained. Applicants will be notified by the Graduate Division concerned/Graduate School separately.
If you are currently in the final year of your study, you are required to submit the final official transcript before starting your postgraduate study at CUHK.
- CUHK qualifications (Bachelor’s or higher degrees):
- A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or other identity document
- Applicants are required to fulfil the English Language Admissions Requirement by submitting any one of the following documents:
- A copy of graduation certificate issued by a university in Hong Kong; or
- A certifying letter issued by the Registry of the university confirming the medium of instruction of your degree programme was English; or
- Original valid official score report of TOEFL^ (University’s institution code: 0812)/IELTS (Academic)^/GMAT (Verbal)^ sent directly from the test organization to the University (HKPFS only accepts score report of TOEFL or IELTS (Academic)); or
- Certification of Results of the English Language subject in Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), or Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination provided by Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority; or
- Certified true copy* of Statement of Results/report of the English Language subject in General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level or AS-level/CUHK Matriculation Examination; or
- Certified true copy* of certificate of a recognized professional qualification for which the examination was conducted in English. Different programmes may accept different professional qualifications, please contact the respective Graduate Division for details.
^TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date. GMAT is considered valid for five years from the test date.
*The certified true copy must be issued by the official organization or relevant test organization. The University may require applicants to provide the original documents for verification.
- No matter successful or not, candidates will receive notification.
- The profiles of successful candidates will be circulated. Professors will approach potential applicants. Applicants should also contact professors they are interested to work with. The offer will be made by GS during Feb/May 2022.
If you have any enquiry, please feel free to contact Ms. Wendy Wong by email to email@example.com.