Postdoc/RA positions: Reinforcement learning and imitation learning, robot perception and motion planning, synergistic AI/XR for medical education, surgical simulation, deep model adaptation/generalization, non-iid federated learning.
PhD topics: medical image analysis (foundation models, federated learning, explainability), robotic surgery (surgical video processing, 3D reconstruction, reinforcement learning for robotic task automation), multi-sensory robotic perception (in various scenarios).
- My research is at the interdisciplinary field of medical image analysis, machine learning and robotic surgery intelligence, aiming to create synergistic advancements for innovative intelligent systems that achieve an impact to support delivery of higher-quality medical diagnosis, intervention and education via next-generation healthcare technology. Previous representative works include 3D deep learning for high-dimensional image computing, domain adaptation and generalization on heterogeneous medical data, surgical video analysis with efficient spatial-temporal learning, and visual-kinematics surgical robotics perception and automation.
- Recent focus: 1) embodied intelligence in surgical robots, 2) smart mixed-reality for robotic surgical education, 3) multi-sensory perception in dynamic environment, 4) model generalization on non-iid medical images at FL/multi-center learning in real-world.
- [08/2023] One paper accepted to SIGGRAPH Asia 2023.
- [08/2023] One paper accepted to ICCV 2023.
- [07/2023] One paper accepted to ACM MM 2023.
- [06/2023] Eight papers accepted to MICCAI 2023 on topics of surgical video, FL, robustness, and image-tabular data.
- [06/2023] Three papers accepted to IROS 2023 on topics of SurRoL and multi-sensory perception.
- [05/2023] One paper accepted to IEEE RA-L, our new version of SurRoL for human-in-the-loop embodied intelligence on
surgical robot learning is released.
- [03/2023] Three papers accepted to CVPR 2023 on topics of FL, video processing and medical images.
- [02/2023] Two papers accepted to IPMI 2023 on topics of label-efficient disease quantification and model fairness.
- [01/2023] Our ICRA'23 workshop on "New Evolutions in Surgical Robotics: Embracing Multimodal Imaging Guidance, Intelligence, and Bio-inspired Mechanisms" call for papers!
- [01/2023] Four papers accepted to ICRA'23 on topics of surgical robot learning, stereo image perception and smart grasping.
- [12/2022] Our CVPR Medical Computer Vision (CVPR-MCV) workshop will continue in CVPR'23.
- [12/2022] Paper (led by Spyridon Bakas from UPenn) on real-world large-scale FL on medical imaging (71 centers worldwide, CUHK is the only participant in China) is accepted to Nature Communications.
- [11/2022] 2022 World's Top 2% Scientists by Stanford University (in category Artificial Intelligence & Image Processing).
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) Early Career Award, 2023.
- 国家教育部高等学校科学研究优秀成果奖(科学技术), 自然科学二等奖 (排名: 3/5), 2022.
- MICCAI Young Scientist Publication Award, 2022. (last author)
- IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging Distinguished Reviewer, Platinum Level, 2022.
- CUHK Department Exemplary Teaching Award, 2022.
- IEEE ICRA Best Paper Award in Medical Robotics, 2021. (last author)
- IEEE EMBS Prize Paper Award 2nd Place, Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, 2021. (first author)
- MICCAI Young Scientist Publication Impact Paper Award Finalist, 2021. (first author)
- 1st Prize of IJCARS-MICCAI Best Paper Award, 2021. (corresponding author)
- IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging Distinguished Reviewer, Gold Level, 2021.
- Hong Kong Institution of Science Young Scientist Award in Engineering Science, 2018.
- CUHK Faculty Outstanding Thesis Award, 2018.
- Best Paper Award of Elsevier Medical Image Analysis-MICCAI, 2017. (first author)
- Fall2023: CSCI3230 Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence (with Elite-Mirror ESTR 3108) [course website]
- Spring2023: BMEG3102 Bioinformatics [course website]
- Fall2022: CSCI3230 Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence (with Elite-Mirror ESTR 3108)
- Spring2022: BMEG3102 Bioinformatics
- Fall2021: CSCI3230 Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence (with Elite-Mirror ESTR 3108)
- Spring2021: BMEG5830 Medical Imaging (guest lecture)
- Spring2021: BMEG3102 Bioinformatics
- Guest lectures for: AIST1000, BMEG5830, BMEG3420
- Area Chair, International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), 2023
- Program Co-Chair, International Conference on Information Processing in Computer Assisted Interventions (IPCAI), 2023.
- Program Co-Chair, International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), 2022
- Program Co-Chair, International Conference on Medical Imaging with Deep Learning (MIDL), 2022 & 2021.
- Founding Board Member, MONAI Stream Advisory Working Group, since 2022.
- Area Chair & Session Chair, Inter. Conference on Information Processing in Computer Assisted Interventions (IPCAI), 2022.
- Organization Committee, NeurIPS Workshop on Medical Imaging (MedNeurIPS), 2022, 2021 & 2020.
- Organization Committee, CVPR Workshop on Medical Computer Vision (CVPR-MCV), 2022 & 2021.
- Organization Committee, MICCAI Joint Workshop on Augmented Environments for Computer Assisted Interventions, Computer Assisted and Robotic Endoscopy, and Context-Aware Operating Theatres (AE-CAI | CARE | OR 2.0), 2022 & 2021 & 2020.
- Organization Committee, MICCAI Workshop on Domain Adaptation and Representation Transfer (DART), 2022 & 2021.
- Organization Committee, ECCV Workshop on Medical Computer Vision (ECCV-MCV), 2022.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (TMI), since 2023.
- Associate Editor, Medical Image Analysis (MedIA), since 2023.
- Associate Editor, Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS), since 2021.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Machine Learning for Biomedical Imaging (MELBA), since 2021.