Irwin King, WISC Lab
Associate Dean (Education), Engineering Faculty
Professor, B.Sc. (Caltech), M.Sc., Ph.D. (USC)
Director, Rich Media and Big Data Key Laboratory, Shenzhen Research Institute (SZRI), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
SMIEEE (CIS), MACM, SMINNS (VP, BoG), APNNA (VP, BoG), FHKIE, IrwinKing.com
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Phone: +(852) 3943 8398; Fax: +(852) 2603 5024
Email: king [ at ] cse [ dot ] cuhk [ dot ] edu [ dot ] hk
- LMTS, AT&T Labs Research, San Francisco (2010-2012)
- Book Series Editor, Social Media and Social Computing, Taylor and Francis (CRC Press)
- Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (ACM TKDD)
- Associate Editor of Journal of Neural Networks (NN)
- Former Associate Editor of INNS Natural Intelligence Magazine (INNS NIM)
- Former Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (IEEE TNN)
- Vice-President of Membership, Board Member, Board of Governors, International Neural Network Society (INNS)
- Vice-President and Board Member, Asia Pacific Neural Network Assembly (APNNA)
- Chair, Task Force on the Future Directions of Neural Networks (IEEE CIS)
- Chair, SIG and Regional Chapters Committee for Asia and the Pacific (INNS)
- Former Member, CIS Outstanding Chapter Award Subcommittee, (IEEE CIS)
- Former Member of Review Panel of the Natural Science, and Engineering of Academy of Finland
- Former Member of Review Panel of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Former Member of RGC Engineering Panel, The Hong Kong SAR Government
- Member of Joint Research Scheme ( JRS) Panel under RGC, The Hong Kong SAR Government
- Principal Investigator, Chief Technologist, and Co-Founder, The VeriGuide Project, CUHK
- Member of the Engineering Faculty Board, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Member of the Editorial Board, Web Intelligence and Web Science (WIWS), Higher Education Press, China
- Kavli Fellow, Kavli Frontiers of Science Symposium, Kavli Foundation
- Apple's Distinguished Educator
- Special Issue Guest Editor, Twitter and Microblogging Services, ACM Transactions on Intelligent System and Technology (TIST), 2011-2012
- Special Issue Guest Editor, Web Intelligence, Neurocomputing, 2011
- General Chair, The Fourth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM2011), February 2011, Hong Kong.
- Invited Speaker, The Moving Target of Mobile User Modeling, UMWA2011 Workshop at WSDM2011, February 9, 2011, Hong Kong.
- SPC, The 3rd Asia Conference on Machine Learning (ACML2011), November 13-15, 2011, Taoyuan, Taiwan.
- Vice-Program Chair, The 8th International Conference on Mobile Web Information Systems (MobiWIS), September 19-21, 2011, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- SPC, AI and the Web Track, The Twenty-Fifth Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-11), August 7-11, 2011, San Francisco, USA.
- Keynote, The 6th International Conference on Advances in Information Technology (IAIT2012), Bangkok, Thailand, October-November, 2012.
- General Co-Chair, The 2012 International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM2012), Istanbul, Turkey, August 26-29, 2012.
- SPC, The Fifth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM2012), February 9-12, 2011, Seattle, USA.
- Machine learning, social computing, neural networks, web intelligence, data mining, information retrieval, plagiarism detection, text processing, multimedia information processing
- Computational advertising, user modeling, adaptation, and profiling
Send an email with your interests and resume.
- September 12, 2012. Irwin King was admitted as Fellow of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
- June 2012. We have been awarded the Vannevar Bush Best Paper Award for our paper, titled “Modeling and Exploiting Heterogeneous Bibliographic Networks for Expertise Ranking”, which was presented at the 12th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) in Washington D.C., USA, June 10-14 2012. JCDL is the most influential international conference on digital libraries. A total of 202 papers were received this year for the competition. This paper won the only Vannevar Bush Best Paper Award.
- Hongbo Deng, Jiawei Han, Michael R. Lyu, Irwin King: Modeling and exploiting heterogeneous bibliographic networks for expertise ranking. JCDL 2012: 71-80
- Irwin King. Irrelevant Data Classification in Semi-supervised Learning for Social Computing Applications, RGC General Research Fund, 2010–2013.
- The BEST Computer Science Department in the Asia/Pacific Region. According to Academic Ranking of World Universities in Computer Science - 2009, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong is ranked 24th in the world in Computer Science, and the BEST in the Asia/Pacific Region.
Keynote, Invited Talk, Advisory Committee, Technical Program Committee Member, Reviewer, Panel Chair, Panelist, or Tutorial Speaker at WCCI2010, WWW2010, DASFAA2010, FGIT2009, ICONIP'09, CollaborateCom2009, CIKM2009, ACML'09, ICCCI'09, APSIPA ASC 2009, WI'09, SocialCom-09, SIGIR2009, IJCAI-09, CASoN2009, IWSSIP2009, IJCNN2009, FAW2009, WWW2009, ICDE2009, CIDM2009, and ECS2009.
Prof. King's research interests include machine learning, social computing, web intelligence, data mining, and multimedia information processing. In these research areas, he has over 210 technical publications in journals (JMLR, ACM TOIS, IEEE TNN, Neurocomputing, NN, IEEE BME, PR, IEEE SMC, JAMC, JASIST, IJPRAI, DSS, etc.) and conferences (NIPS, IJCAI, CIKM, SIGIR, KDD, PAKDD, ICDM, WWW, WI/IAT, WCCI, IJCNN, ICONIP, ICDAR, etc.). In addition, he has contributed over 30 book chapters and edited volumes. Moreover, Prof. King has over 30 research and applied grants. One notable patented system he has developed is the VeriGuide System, previously known as the CUPIDE (Chinese University Plagiarism IDentification Engine) system, which detects similar sentences and performs readability analysis of text-based documents in both English and in Chinese to promote academic integrity and honesty.
Prof. King is the Book Series Editor for “Social Media and Social Computing” with Taylor and Francis (CRC Press). He is also an Associate Editor of the ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (ACM TKDD) and a former Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (TNN) and IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (CIM). He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Open Information Systems Journal, Journal of Nonlinear Analysis and Applied Mathematics, and Neural Information Processing–Letters and Reviews Journal (NIP-LR). He has also served as Special Issue Guest Editor for Neurocomputing, International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics (IJICC), Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (JIIS), and International Journal of Computational Intelligent Research (IJCIR). He is a senior member of IEEE and a member of ACM, International Neural Network Society (INNS), and Asian Pacific Neural Network Assembly (APNNA). Currently, he is serving the Neural Network Technical Committee (NNTC) and the Data Mining Technical Committee under the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (formerly the IEEE Neural Network Society). He is also a member of the Board of Governors of INNS and a Vice-President and Governing Board Member of APNNA. He also serves INNS as the Vice-President for Membership in the Board of Governors. Moreover, he is the General Chair of WSDM2011, General Co-Chair of RecSys2013, and in various capacities in a number of top conferences such as WWW, NIPS, ICML, IJCAI, AAAI, etc.
Prof. King is Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Engineering and Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He received his B.Sc. degree in Engineering and Applied Science from California Institute of Technology, Pasadena and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles.