ENGG 2440A: Discrete mathematics for engineers
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Fall 2015
Andrej Bogdanov, andrejb (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 926, office hours Fri 2-4
- Teaching Assistants
Hongyun Gao, hygao (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 1026, office hour Fri 3-4
Xin Huang, xhuang (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 117, office hour Fri 2-3
Chris Williamson (Head TA), chris (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 117, office hour Mon 12-1
Hui Xu, hxu (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 101A, office hour Mon 3-4
Hang Zhang, hzhang (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 913, office hour Tue 4-5
- 23 Dec It was a pleasure teaching you this semester. Enjoy your well-deserved holidays!
- 23 Dec Please verify that all your homework and midterm grades have been entered correctly in the e-learning system.
- 23 Dec The final exam grades are now posted on the e-learning system. The median grade is 48 (out of 80).
This course is about mathematical models and techniques that are helpful for describing, analyzing, and solving problems in computer science. There will be much emphasis on proofs and rigorous reasoning.
To be successful in discrete mathematics, you will need to go beyond memorizing recipes for calculating answers and learn how to argue convincingly that your solution to a given problem is sensible.
||No class, Inauguration Ceremony
||LLM §1; notes
||LLM §2; notes
No class, day after Mid-Autumn Festival
|LLM §3; notes; code
||LLM §4; notes; code
||LLM §5; notes
No class, Chung Yeung Festival
|LLM §5, §6; notes
|Sums and asymptotics
||LLM §9; notes
||LLM §10; notes
||LLM §7.2, §11; notes
||LLM §11; notes; code
||Final exam in University Gymnasium
Tutorials and homeworks
Homeworks will be issued every other week according to the following schedule:
- Monday: A homework consisting of 6 problems is posted here. Ten days later in tutorial, you will need to turn in solutions to 4 out of these 6 problems of your choice.
- Thursday tutorial: You discuss the homework problems in groups. Feel free to ask your TA for advice and help. You may volunteer to present your solution.
- Next Thursday tutorial: The TA will collect homework solutions. Then some of you will be asked to present your solution to the class. Students will be chosen randomly with repetition. This means you may be called to present at any time, and more than once.
Come to tutorial prepared. Your participation and the quality of your presentation will count towards your grade. If you cannot make it on any particular week, let your TA know in advance.
You are encouraged to collaborate on homeworks, but you must write up your own solutions and list your collaborators on the solution sheet. You will hand in the solutions to your TA at the beginning of Thursday tutorial. No late submissions will be accepted. Please read the CUHK policy on honesty in academic work.
There is an ENGG 2440A discussion board on piazza. Please register and sign in using your CUHK email address.
- Lecture times Mon 9.30-11.15 and Wed 2.30-3.15 in T. Y. Wong Lecture Theatre (TYW LT).
- Tutorials Tutorial attendance and participation will count towards your grade. You are required to attend the same tutorial section every week. The tutorial times are:
- Xin's section, Thu 9.30-10.15 in ERB 405
- Hang's section, Thu 9.30-10.15 in ERB 713
- Chris's section, Thu 10.30-11.15 in LSB C1
- Hongyun's section, Thu 10.30-11.15 in BMS 1
- Hui's section, Thu 10.30-11.15 in BMS 2
- Textbook The primary reference for this course is Mathematics for Computer Science by Lehman, Leighton, and Meyer (LLM). Notes will be provided for material not covered in the textbook.
- Grading Your grade will be determined from a midterm exam (25%), a final exam (40%), homework solutions (15%), and attendance, participation, and homework presentation (20%). You can verify our record of your grades on the CU e-learning system.