CSCI3270 Advanced Programming Laboratory — Fall 2018
Siu On CHAN Office hours Tuesday 2:30-4:30pm SHB 911
- Pengguang CHEN pgchen@cse
- Sep 14: Week 2 lecture notes have been uploaded to Piazza.
- Sep 13: Homework 1 is now posted.
- Sep 7: Starting from week 2 (Sep 13), our lecture is moved to Thu 2:30-4:15 at SHB 123.
- Sep 6: Please email me your preferred presentation topic (suggestions are on Piazza) by the end of Sunday Sep 9. Not sending me an email is an indication that you will not take this course.
- Sep 3: Please register on Codeforces before the first lecture.
- Aug 31: Our first lecture on Sep 6 will take place at SHB 924.
- Aug 29: During our first lecture on Sep 6, we will discuss whether to change our lecture time.
This course is seminar-based. Lectures consist of students’ 45-min presentations on the following topics that frequently appear in programming contests. Students’ grades are based in part on their presentations. Presenters are also expected to suggest 1-2 related problems on online judges that will serve as exercises or homework problems.
- Computational geometry
- Advanced data structures
- Number theory
- Dynamic programming
- Divide and conquer
- Network flows and linear programming
- Combinatorial game theory
Grading rubrics for presentations (when normalized to 100%):
- Clarity 60%
- Suggested problems 20%
- Usefulness in contests 20%
|1||Sep 6||Introduction & entrance exam (courtesy of Alex Tung)|
|2||Sep 13||Pengguang Chen: Dynamic programming|
|3||Sep 20||Bi Ke: Sieves & linear recurrences|
|4||Sep 27||Cyrus Yiu: Data structures I|
|5||Oct 4||Percy Wong: Data structures II|
|6||Oct 11||Jeremy Chow: String algorithms|
|7||Oct 18||Ian Wong: TBA|
|8||Oct 25||Charlie Li: Square-root decompositions|
|9||Nov 1||Jason Yik: Fixed-parameter algorithms and searching|
|10||Nov 8||Anson Ho: Fast Fourier Transform
Alex Tung: TBA
|Nov 15||Congregation for conferment of degrees|
|11||Nov 22||Janice Chen: Game theory|
|12||Nov 29||Qingyuan Liu: Computational geometry|
There will be 8-10 homeworks. Solve assigned problems at the online judges above and submit your programs (together with your ID/handle on the corresponding online judge) to the TA by the deadline. Homeworks are typically released on Thursday and will be due at 23:59 the next Wednesday.
- Homework 1: POJ 1738 due Sep 19