Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Room 909, Ho Sin-Hang Engineering Building
Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Email: shao at cse.cuhk.edu.hk
Phone: (852) 39434258
I am an Associate Professor at Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong. I received my Ph.D. and M.S. degrees
at the Department of Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas in 2003 and 2005, respectively.
Before joining CUHK in 2018, I was with Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, where I started in 2005.
To prospective students: I am looking for undergraudate/graduate students with strong interests in big data systems, storage systems, embedded systems/software research.
If you are interested, please send me email with your CV and transcripts.
Research Interests: Big Data Systems, Storage Systems, and Embedded Systems/Software
Recent Research Projects
- HK GRF, PI, Optimizing Storage System Design for Spatial-Temporal Big Data, HKD 490,400, 2019-2021.
- HK GRF, PI, Leveraging the Interplay of RAID and SSD for Lifetime and Reconstruction Optimization of Flash-based SSD RAID Array, HKD 875,000, 2018-2020.
- HK GRF, PI, Alleviating Semantic Gaps in Key-Value Storage Systems: Think Big, See Small, HKD 482,605, 2017-2019.
- HK GRF, PI, Bridging I/O Performance Gap for Big Data Workloads: A New NVDIMM-based Approach, HKD 871,036, 2016-2018.
- HK GRF, PI, Mobile Virtualization Optimization Using Emerging Non-Volatile Memory, HKD 875,000, 2015-2017.
- Yichen Jia, Zili Shao, and Feng Chen, "SlimCache: Exploiting Data Compression Opportunities in Flash-based Key-value Caching", 26th IEEE International Symposium on the Modeling,
Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS'18), Milwaukee, WI, September 25-28, 2018.
- Zhaoyan Shen, Feng Chen, Yichen Jia and Zili Shao, DIDACache: A Deep Integration of Device and Application for Flash-Based Key-Value Caching, 15th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST 2017), Santa Clara, USA, Feb. 27 - March 2, 2017.
- Renhai Chen, Zili Shao, and Tao Li, Bridging the I/O Performance Gap for Big Data Workloads: A New NVDIMM-based Approach, 49th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO 2016), Taipei, Taiwan, October 15-19, 2016.
- Zhaoyan Shen, Feng Chen, Yichen Jia and Zili Shao, Optimizing Flash-based Key-value Cache Systems, 8th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Storage and File Systems (HotStorage '16), Denver, US, June 20-21, 2016.
- Kan Zhong, Duo Liu, Liang Liang, Linbo Long, Yi Lin and Zili Shao, FLIC: Fast, Lightweight Checkpointing for Mobile Virtualization using NVRAM,
Design, Automation and Test in Europe (DATE 2016), Dresden, Germany, March 14-18, 2016.
Renhai Chen, Zili Shao, Chia-Lin Yang and Tao Li, MCSSim: A Memory Channel Storage Simulator, 21st Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC 2016), Macau, China, January 25-28, 2016.
Xingbo Wu, Yuehai Xu, Zili Shao and Song Jiang, LSM-trie: An LSM-tree-based Ultra-Large Key-Value Store for Small Data Items, 2015 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ATC '15), CA, USA, July 8-10, 2015.
ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems, 2015 -
ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, 2015 -
IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2016 -
IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2014-2018
Conference Committee Chairmanship
General Co-Chair in IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI 2018)
Subcommittee Chair (Embedded Software Track) in 23rd Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC 2018)
Program Chair for 16th ACM SIGPLAN/SIGBED International Conference on Languages, Compilers, Tools and Theory for Embedded Systems (LCTES 2017)
Subcommittee Chair (Embedded Storage and IO Track) in 53rd Design Automation Conference (DAC 2017)
General Co-Chair of the 4th IEEE Non-Volatile Memory System and Applications Symposium (NVMSA 2016)
Conference TPC memeber
- The International Conference on Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis (CODES+ISSS 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- The Design Automation Conference (DAC 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- The Design, Automation, and Test in Europe conference (DATE 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- ACM SIGPLAN/SIGBED International Conference on Languages, Compilers, Tools and Theory for Embedded Systems (LCTES 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)