Techniques for Data Mining
Data mining provides useful tools for the analysis, understanding
and extraction of useful information from huge databases.
Applications range from business, finance, medicine and engineering.
This course will introduce the techniques used in data-mining.
Topics will include clustering, classification, estimation,
forecasting, statistical analysis and visualization tools.
to provide a comprehensive understanding of current methodologies used in data mining
- to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of popular data mining technique
- to introduce the whole data mining process
- to present some applications of data mining to real-world problems
After successful completion of this course, students should be able
- to identify the objectives of the real world data mining problems,
- to select and apply the right techniques to solve these problems,
- and to systematically evaluate the results obtained.
First Term 2009
Prof. Laiwan Chan
Ho Sin Hang Engineering Building 1016,
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, New Territories
Email : lwchan cse.cuhk.edu.hk
Phone : 2609 8434
- 2:30 pm - 4:15 pm Monday, MMW 707
- 1:30 pm - 2:15 pm Thursday, MMW 707
Tan, Steinback, Kumar, "Introduction to Data Mining", Addision Wesley,
Last updated :