Data Structures and Applications, Spring 1998
This course formally examines the relationship between
abstract data types and data structures. The implementation o
fabstract data type using various data structures will be discussed.
Sample abstract data types including vector, list, stack, queueand
tree will be introduced and illustrated with applications such as
searching, sorting, etc.
Dr. Irwin King, HSH 908, +(852) 2609-8398, firstname.lastname@example.org
Official newsgroup: cuhk.cse.2520
Table of Contents
- Dr. Irwin King
- Monday 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Tuesday 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- By appointment
- M9 Monday 4:30 pm - 5:15 pm, KHB G1
- W3-4 Wednesday 10:30 pm - 12:15 pm, KHB G1
Note: This class will be taught in English. Homework assignments
and examinations will be conducted in English.
- Thu. 12:30 pm - 1:15 pm, SHB 507
- Fri. 10:30 am - 11:15 am, SHB 507
- Mr. Hu Qixian email@example.com
- Mr. Cheung Shing-kwong firstname.lastname@example.org
Week & Date & Topic
- Week 1 - Introduction to the course
- Week 2 - Analysis of Algorithms (HW #1)
- Week 3 - Arrays, Link Lists, Stacks and Queues I
- Week 4 - Arrays, Link Lists, Stacks and Queues II
- Week 5 - Searching I (HW #2)
- Week 6 - Trees, Searching II
- Week 7 - Sorting I (Midterm)
- Week 8 - Sorting II (HW #3)
- Week 9 - Graphs I
- Week 10 - Graphs II (HW #4)
- Week 11 - Graphs III
- Week 12 - Misc.
Assignment Topic Issue Date Due Date
1 Analysis of Algorithm Week 2 Week 4
2 Arrays, link list, stacks & queues
Week 5 Week 7
3 Searching & Sorting Week 8 Week 10
4 Trees & Graphs Week 10 Week 12
- 4 Assignments (7.5% each)
- Written assignment
- Programming assignment
- Optional in-class quiz
Final examination (50%)
- Computer Organization
- Operating System \& Programming Environment: Unix systems, C, or Pascal
- Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C, Second Edition
by Mark Allen Weiss, The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company,
- Data Structures and Program Design in C by Robert
L. Kruse, Bruce P. Leung, and Clovis L. Tondo, Prentice Hall,
Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1991.
- Data Structures and AlgorithmsAlfred V. Aho,
John E. Hopcroft, and Jeffrey D. Ullman, Addison Wesley Publisher,
Academic & Professional Book Centre, 1H Cheong Ming Bldg., 80-86
Argyle St., Kowloon, 2398-2191, 2391-7430 (fax)
Caves Books (H. K.), 4B Ferry St., G/F., Yaumatei, Kowloon, 2780-0987,
Man Yuen Book Company, 45 Parkes street, Jordan Road, Kowloon,
Hong Kong, 2366-0594
Not very large, Asian edition books, fair price, wide range,
some 10% discount.
Swindon Book Co. Ltd, 13-15 Lock Road, Tsim Sha Tsiu, Kowloon,
One of the largest book stores in Hong Kong, exchange rate is not
Hongkong Book Centre, 522-7064
A branch of the Swindon book shop
Leed & Wood Co. Ltd., 2/F Shop D2A Star House, 3 Salisbury
A very good store for books of application software only.
It is not a good store for Computer Science. Some of the books
are useful. The price is a bit high.
- Class notes will be reserved in the central library.
- An electronic version (without figures) is available at
- It is highly recommended that you take notes in the class. Please do not
depend solely on the reserved notes.
- CUHK Registration
- CUHK Almanac
This page was last updated on Thu Jan 8 10:39:15 HKT 1998.