ENGG 2440A: Discrete math for engineers
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Fall 2017
Andrej Bogdanov, andrejb (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 926, office hours Mon 2.30-4.30
- Teaching Assistants
Huang Xin, xhuang (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 117, office hour Tue 11-12
Shao Han, hshao (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 1024, office hour Fri 2-3
Yung King On, koyung (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 117, office hour Wed 3.30-4.30
Chris Williamson (Head TA), chris (a) cse.cuhk.edu.hk, SHB 117, office hour Wed 2.30-3.30
- 17 Nov In question 3c of homework 5 assume the graph has at least two vertices.
- 14 Nov Tutorials on Thu 16 Nov are suspended owing to the congregation. The TAs will be in their office to help you with the homework.
- 12 Nov Homework 5 is out.
This course is about mathematical concepts and techniques that are helpful for describing, analyzing, and solving problems in computer science. There will be much emphasis on proofs and rigorous reasoning.
To be successful in discrete mathematics, you will need to go beyond memorizing recipes for calculating answers and learn how to argue convincingly that your solution to a given problem is sensible.
||No class, Inauguration Ceremony
LLM §1.1, §3
LLM §5, §6
LLM §6, §9
LLM §12, §6.4
LLM §10, §11
|Sums and asymptotics
LLM §4, §15
||Final exam review
Tutorials and homeworks
Homeworks will be issued every other week according to the following schedule:
- Monday: A homework consisting of 6 problems is posted here. Ten days later in tutorial, you will need to turn in solutions to 4 out of these 6 problems of your choice.
- Thursday tutorial: You discuss the homework problems in groups. Feel free to ask your TA for advice and help. You may volunteer to present your solution.
- Next Thursday tutorial: The TA will collect homework solutions. Then some of you will be asked to present your solution to the class. Students will be chosen randomly with repetition. This means you may be called to present at any time, and more than once.
Come to tutorial prepared. Your participation and the quality of your presentation will count towards your grade. If you cannot make it on any particular week, let your TA know in advance.
You are encouraged to collaborate on homeworks, but you must write up your own solutions and list your collaborators on the solution sheet. You will hand in the solutions to your TA at the beginning of Thursday tutorial. No late submissions will be accepted. Please read the CUHK policy on honesty in academic work and see these slides about ENGG 2440A in particular.
There is an ENGG 2440A discussion board on piazza. Please register and sign in using your CUHK email address.
- Lecture times Mon 10.30-12.15 in YIA LT3 and Wed 1.30-2.15 in ERB LT.
- Attendance The Faculty of Engineering requires that every
student attends at least half the lectures of ENGG 2440A. Attendance
will be taken electronically before each lecture. Please arrive on
time and remember to touch your CULink card.
- Tutorials Tutorial attendance and participation will count towards your grade. You are required to attend the same tutorial section every week. The tutorial times are:
- AT01 (Chris's section): Thu 10.30-11.15 in ERB 408
- AT02 (Chris's section): Thu 11.30-12.15 in ERB 408
- AT03 (Xin's section): Thu 10.30-11.15 in ERB 713
- AT04 (Xin's section): Thu 11.30-12.15 in ERB 713
- AT05 (Kingsley's section): Thu 10.30-11.15 in ERB 706
- AT06 (Han's section): Thu 11.30-12.15 in ERB 706
- Textbook The primary reference for this course is Mathematics for Computer Science [download 13MB] by Lehman, Leighton, and Meyer (LLM). Notes will be provided for material not covered in the textbook.
- Grading Your grade will be determined
from a midterm exam (25%), a final exam (40%), homework solutions
(15%), and attendance, participation, and homework presentation (20%).
You can verify our record of your grades on CUHK blackboard.