Computer Engineering Programme
The Computer Engineering (CE) programme was formally established when the Faculty of Engineering was inaugurated in 1991. The CE programme is a balanced programme with emphasis on both computer hardware and software. Our programme distinguishes itself from others by offering specialized training for students in computer design, mobile embedded systems, microprocessors and very large-scale integrated circuit (VLSI) design.
With the advances in VLSI and microprocessors, innovative products such as smart phones, 3D TVs, digital cameras, supercomputers, computer games etc. are invented continuously. Given the new challenges and opportunities ahead, our CE programme is designed to equip our graduates to meet those demands. Many of our CE graduates have successfully pursued their careers in local and international companies such as The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC), Intel, Microsoft, IBM and Google. Others have chosen to further their studies in our postgraduate programme or programmes in internationally renowned universities overseas.
The CE curriculum consists of courses in the following areas:
- Application: mobile embedded devices, computer graphics, multimedia processing;
- Computer hardware: circuitry theory, logic system design, computer architecture and interfacing, computer arithmetic;
- Computer software: programming, data structure, operating systems, algorithm, software engineering;
- Very large-scale integrated circuit (VLSI) design: Computer-aided design and applications;
- System connectivity: computer network.
Other advanced topics include:
- Hardware-accelerated bio-related processing;
- Hardware-aided security;
- Multi-core systems and architecture;
- Reconfigurable computing;
The Computer Engineering/Integrated Business Administration double-degree option is open to students who are qualified for admission to both programmes. Following the successful completion of a BEng degree in Computer Engineering, the students can continue their studies for an additional year to gain a BBA degree.