The department’s research in this area aims to understand the ultimate power and limit of quantum information processing in various settings. More specifically, investigations have been on the following areas.
- Quantum algorithms: To develop quantum algorithms with speedup over their best possible or best-known classical counterparts, and to prove that no efficient quantum algorithm is possible for certain tasks.
- Quantum computational complexity: To understand the power and limits of quantum computing on a coarse scale
- Quantum communication complexity: To study communication-efficient protocols using quantum messages.
- Quantum game theory: To develop theories for studying games where at least one party uses a quantum computer.
- Quantum Hamiltonian complexity: To investigate the quantum constraint satisfaction problem and its links to condensed matter physics.